Zelij Watercoloring with Zahra Ammar
December 2 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm PST$29
Create a beautiful piece of watercolor art in the Zelig design style. This 16 fold pattern in intricate but easy to make and color. We will begin with tracing the provided design where Zahra will show easy tracing options. We will explore shimmery watercolors for the holiday on black watercolor to have a dazzling effect for your decor. Zahra will show you her preferred method on how to create a deckled edge from any paper.
Supplies You Will Need
- Printed PDF design on A4 letter size
- Watercolor paper, ideally black (ie. Stonehenge Aqua Black Cold Pressed 7”x 7” OR any cold press watercolor paper 300gsm from Arches, Strathmore or Canson)
- Watercolors: gold, metallic or shimmers (ie. Zahra Ammar Art, Finetec/Coliro)
- Paint brushes (round 0, 2)
- A spoon
- Tracing paper (alternatives: wax paper or carbon paper)
- Washi tape / painters tape
- Ruler or straight edge
- Optional: Float frame or shadow box (ie. Ikea, Michaels), double sided tape
About the Artist
Zahra Ammar is a paper artist who loves to cut, fold and explore the endless possibilities of paper. She is also in a deep relationship with colors and pigments, creating artisanal watercolors with semiprecious minerals, foraged rocks and synthetic colors. Driving her inspiration from her love of hiking and reading, her work is an essay on florals and geometric patterns. Works can be found at California Medical Association, Kaiser Permanente, Dignity Health and Sutter Hospitals and many private collections around the world.