Contemporary Embroidery Workshop
Artist Sarah Benning leads us through the intricacies of embroidery. This workshop features an instructional digital video accompanied by a curated kit of tools and materials to complete a Sarah K. Benning pattern.
Learn more about the details of this project on Sarah’s Featured Maker Page.
With a custom stitch booklet built by Sarah to continue to guide us, we explore a variety of beginner, intermediate and even advanced techniques. For travel purposes, we have partnered with Brooklyn-based French designer Amelie Mancini to create carryall bags for all of our embroidery supplies, they’re beautiful!
This workshop includes:
- A detailed, digital workshop on the techniques and execution of contemporary embroidery by Sarah Benning
- A live & recorded Maker Chat Q&A with our artist
- Tools and materials from artisan suppliers, curated for you, by Sarah
The tools & materials included in this kit:
- A custom intermediate pattern by Sarah
- 2 wooden hoops to choose for your design: a 7″ and 9″
- A swatch of unbleached cotton fabric
- 13 different unique colors of embroidery floss (Please note that due to an embroidery floss shortage, one color is substituted for a very close match.)
- A length of size 8 black pearle cotton thread for outlining
- An embroidery needle
- Sarah’s favorite thread snips
- A complete Stitch Glossary designed by Sarah
A special addition:
- Our small business collaboration for this kit includes a hand printed embroidery carryall bag in natural oatmeal/cotton-blend linen designed and produced by Amelie Mancini in her NYC studio. These pouches feature black organic cotton lining, a sturdy brass zipper and a brown leather pull. They are screen printed using a non-toxic, water-based black ink in Amelie’s wonderful cactus motif. Amelie has partnered with us to create a custom size and bag just for this project!