Cyanotype Art Workshop
In this workshop we are exploring the chemistry of blueprints and the power of the sun with artist Emily Jeffords. Emily shares with us the process of cyanotype with a step-by-step guide on how she creates beautiful pieces of art using foliage and found objects. Utilizing a mixture of chemicals, the action of light and a mastery of techniques, let’s explore the process of creating inspiring silhouettes! This workshop includes Emily’s technique in a video tutorial and an accompanying box of tools and materials (including Emily’s preferred 640gsm thick cotton paper, the tools & chemicals to process cyanotype art (through a small business collaboration with a US-based photo studio).
Learn more about the details of this project on Emily’s Featured Maker Page.
Cyanotype is a photographic printing process that dates back to the mid-1800s that was frequently used by engineers as an effective process to produce copies of drawings (or blueprints). The process uses two chemicals: ammonium ferric citrate and potassium ferricyanide. In this workshop we are using hot pressed watercolor paper that is sturdy enough to withstand a coating of these chemicals (frequently referred to as Chemical A + Chemical B) as well as a water bath before the finished print is produced.
This workshop includes:
- A detailed, digital workshop on the techniques and execution of Cyanotype art by Emily Jeffords
- A live & recorded Maker Chat Q&A with our artist
- Tools and materials from artisan suppliers, curated for you, by Emily
The tools & materials included in this kit:
- A selection of sturdy, thick 640gsm & 300gsm hot pressed 100% cotton paper to experiment with
- A kit of cyanotype chemical processing liquids: ammonium ferric citrate and potassium ferricyanide
- A paint brush for application
- A black bag to help aide in your portable darkroom
- A custom white frame to fit a finished 8×10″ cyanotype artwork piece
You may also like…
Additional Cyanotype Paper Packets
The Crafter’s Box Canvas & Leather Portfolio Bag$135.00
The Crafter’s Box Pen Case & Tool Pouch$26.00
The Crafter’s Box Canvas Tool Roll$32.00
Cyanotype Cotton Napkins$30.00 – $38.00