Hand Knit Sweater Tank (And Clothing Embellishing Kit)
Note: due to the texture of the handmade knit tanks (sharing more below), we are considering this materials kit to be an intermediate/advanced collaboration. Chalk is also provided as an alternate process of transferring the pattern due to the thickness of the tank. We recommend this awesome materials kit collaboration for those feeling quite comfortable working with (or are ready to really explore!) new material mediums.
For this materials kit, we’ve worked closely with Slumlove Sweater Co. to produce a limited line of knit tanks in a color exclusive to The Crafter’s Box for spring as a pairing to a hand embroidered clothing embellishing kit with our artist, Kristen Gula. This add-on kit includes all of the supplies to embellish clothing items moving forward.
This 100% knit cotton Slumlove sweater tank is made by the women of Kibera, Kenya:
- Ethically made in Kenya
- Dyed using natural + eco-friendly dyes
- 100% locally sourced, CmiA certified cotton
- Giving back to a non-profit that provides high school scholarships to children living in one of the world’s largest slums
- Relaxed, easy fit (our model is wearing a size medium, size chart available to the left)
From founder Ava Darnell: I started Slumlove Sweater Company as a way to help improve the lives of people living in the place that I love. I began traveling to Kenya when I was just four years old, and the beauty and magic of this wonderful country seeped deep into my soul; I’ve never been able to let go.
Over the years, my love for Kenya led me to begin working in Kibera. It’s one of the world’s largest slums located in the country’s capitol of Nairobi. I founded Slumlove Sweater Company in 2012 after meeting women from Kibera who knit school sweaters for children.
At its core, we exist to improve the lives of people living in extreme poverty. We do this by paying our employees fair wages for their work and giving part of our proceeds back to a non-profit that provides educational scholarships for children living in the slum. Anytime I find myself in Kenya, I make sure to visit the school and spend time with the students and teachers. This is the place where Slumlove began, and I never want to forget that this is what it’s all about.
Our Full Clothing Embellishing Kit Includes:
- a hand knit tank in a rich teal blue custom cotton yarn from Slumlove Sweater Co (choose size below)
- a large 11×17″ Q Snap (ideal for clothing embellishing of all kinds) and a wonderful way to grow beyond the 6×6″ frame included in the original workshop kit
- a brand new intermediate/advanced floral pattern and color guide designed by Kristen Gula
- a new color set of over 20 embroidery floss skeins
- pattern transfer tools
These hand knit tanks are available with an extremely limited quantity, the knitters of Kibera have been working on this project for some time to bring a truly unique clothing item to our makers this month.
This kit is an add-on available to those who participated in Embellishing with Floral Embroidery Workshop with Kristen Gula.