Mark Making & Textile Design Workshop
Artist Arounna Khounnoraj is well-known for her beautiful hand painted textile designs and patterns. She uses ‘mark making’ as a painting technique to achieve organic, sometimes repetitive, sometimes whimsical brush strokes that she then replicates on fabric for accessories and home goods for her shop, Bookhou.
Learn more about the details of this project on Arounna’s Featured Maker Page.
In this workshop we’ll explore the practice of mark making (as well as Arounna’s favorite tips and techniques) to create a custom textile design using the curated tools & materials that she works with in her own studio. Mark making is a term used to describe the different lines, patterns and even textures we create in a piece of art. It can apply to any art material on any surface, though for this project Arounna is working with a specialized fabric paint on canvas. Arounna uses marking making in her textile design throughout her work – on bookbags and totes, for pillows and clothing, it’s found in the wall collages that adorn her studio and throughout her sketchbook as she puts brush to paper to practice her creativity. Mark making is so diverse! It pushes us out of our creative boundaries and gives us a wonderful opportunity to play and explore.
This workshop includes:
- A detailed, digital workshop led by Arounna
- A live & recorded Maker Chat Q&A with our artist
- Tools and materials from artisan suppliers, curated for you, by Arounna
The tools & materials included in this kit:
- A half circle canvas cross body bag with brass details (designed by Arounna and sewn in collaboration with To The Market) roughly 10×8″ in size
- An accompanying canvas pouch with brass details roughly 4×5″ in size
- A length of vegetable tanned leather cording, adjustable to one’s own personal cross body length preference (in collaboration with a leather studio in the US)
- Black opaque fabric paint
- Two specialized paint brushes chosen by Arounna
We're sorry that this kit is sold out. We'd love to reach out to you from our wait list when it's available again:
Out of stock
You may also like…
Canvas + Leather Cross Body Half Circle Bag$26.00 – $36.00
Smoky Grey Linen + Brass Utility Pouch$18.00 – $26.00
Small Canvas Half Circle Pouch$10.00 – $20.00
Wood & Canvas Mid-Century Modern Magazine Rack$42.00 – $50.00
Cyanotype Cotton Napkins$30.00 – $38.00