Hand Quilting Workshop
Welcome to our workshop exploring hand quilting with Elise Cripe. In this workshop Elise shares her passion for quilting and teaches us the process and technique of crafting a custom linen quilt from scratch. Utilizing hand quilting – and foregoing a traditional sewing machine – Elise shares how to layer, stitch and bind a cozy lap quilt. Hand quilting offers an opportunity to explore stitched shapes and patterns on the surface of the quilt itself. With floss + needle in hand, we invite you to create a design that speaks to you.
Learn more about the details of this project on Elise’s Featured Maker Page
Using a single piece of linen as the top and bottom of this quilt, each maker starts with a blank canvas and a fresh palette of possibilities. Hand stitching is both decorative and functional; the stitches also serve the purpose of capturing three separate layers: linen, batting, linen to provide the structure of the blanket. Quilting refers simply to the process of binding these layers together.
- A detailed, digital workshop on how to hand quilt with Elise Cripe
- A live & recorded Maker Chat Q&A with our artist
- Tools and materials from artisan suppliers, curated for you, by Elise
The tools & materials included in this kit:
- Two roughly 40×50” lengths of linen fabric (a linen-cotton blend for coziness) in flax & ecru, enough fabric for the top and bottom of a lap-sized blanket (hand quilting offers an opportunity to get quite intricate and detailed with stitching – this is the perfect size to get started).
- Quilt batting
- Perle embroidery floss in four neutral colors chosen by Elise: three beautiful blues and ivory
- Three quilting needles in varying sizes
- A washout pattern pen
- Template cardstock to build a pattern
You may also like…
A Chunky Knit Merino Pillow Kit
The Crafter’s Box Waterproof Crafting Pouch
A Large Flax & Ivory Quilting Kit
The Crafter’s Box Canvas & Leather Toolbox
The Crafter’s Box Canvas Tool Roll
A Neutral (Hand-Spun Yarn) Pibione Tapestry
Build Your Own Hand Quilting Kit
Build Your Own$36.00