Welcome to an introduction to sashiko with artist Jessica Marquez of Miniature Rhino. In this workshop, Jessica teaches the foundations of the sashiko technique – we’ll explore both beginning and advanced pattern and shape making, building out several sashiko samplers and finally a large scale custom pillow project for the home. Sashiko is a craft founded in rural Japan. When making precious fabrics from seeds, the art of sashiko was developed to mend, strengthen and reinforce garments for longevity. With a name meaning “little stabs”, this technique creates a design of running stitches through swaths of fabric.
Learn more about the details of this project on Jessica’s Featured Maker Page.
As time went on, simple running stitches were developed into more intricate patterns. This technique can not only strengthen fabrics but also is used for embellishing, quilting or weaving fabrics together. Our materials and tools have been carefully curated from custom shams sewn in collaboration with our local seamstresses to the wonderful sashiko tools and materials used by practicing sashiko stitchers around the world.
- An in-depth, digital workshop by Jessica Marquez
- A live & recorded Maker Chat Q&A with our artist
- Tools and materials from artisan supplies, curated for you, by Jessica
The tools & materials included in this kit:
- Custom made 16×16″ cotton & linen blend pillow sham with an envelope fold
- Three squares for practice
- Specialty sashiko thread in 100% Egyptian cotton
- Olympus sashiko needles in two sizes for varying techniques
- A water-soluble pencil
- A grid ruler
- A thimble with a scalloped silicone
We're sorry that this kit is sold out. We'd love to reach out to you from our wait list when it's available again:
Out of stock
You may also like…
A Vegan Large Farmer’s Market Tote$42.00 – $58.00
Arianna CaggianoFrom: $150.00
Advanced Sashiko Pattern Making Tools$32.00
Floral Embroidery Workshop
Hand Quilting Workshop