Rigid Heddle Weaving
$300.00 – $520.00
Rachel Snack is a textile artist and conservator, an expert weaver who encourages others to push the boundaries of the woven grid and to create unique hand-woven, heirloom textiles. Within this workshop, Rachel will be teaching us traditional heddle loom techniques to create versatile woven goods by hand, and to celebrate our creative expression through cloth.
Learn more about the details of this project on Rachel’s Featured Maker Page
This premium kit features a beautifully crafted Ashford rigid heddle table loom. This loom comfortably sits on a large dining room table or can be propped against a table ledge and one’s knees for comfortable weaving. The size allows for travel if you enjoy crafting on the go. Included with the loom is a specialty 12.5-dent reed (which we cover extensively in this workshop) for diverse types of weaving. Also included are four gorgeous, curated fiber cones. The featured yarns include a cotton linen blend from a small, family-run mill in Florence, Italy. This particular fiber is unique as it combines the softness of cotton with the crispness of linen, while offering great slub and texture. Also included in this kit are 3 cones of beautiful Japanese silk noil. These silk noil fibers are sustainably crafted using recycled silk fabrics and have a lightly textured matte finish. Learn more about our tools & materials collaborations for this workshop below.
This premium workshop includes:
- An in-depth, digital workshop by Rachel Snack
- A live & recorded Maker Chat Q&A with our artist
- Tools and materials from artisan supplies, curated for you, by Rachel
The tools & materials included in this kit:
- CHOOSE BELOW: a total of four specialty fiber cones (the colors featured in this workshop and chosen by Rachel include: dove grey, ash grey and charcoal for the 3 cones of Japanese silk noil, white for the cone of Italian cotton linen). Note that each cone includes enough linen & silk for plenty of handwoven projects, you can purchase additional cones in a separate listing as well.
- 3 cones of Japanese silk noil
- 1 cone of Italian cotton linen
- CHOOSE FROM: four different sizes in our Ashford rigid heddle table loom (note: Rachel demos in the workshop video a 24″ size, see below) which also includes: double heddle blocks, built-in second heddle option, threading hook
- 12.5-dent reed (specifically required for ‘wider’ warping projects)
- 2 x shuttles
- Warping peg and clamps
- Butcher paper and t pins
The digital workshop accompanying this kit uses a 24″ rigid heddle loom for demonstration. Rachel’s specific techniques for warping and weaving are designed around this size. If you choose an alternate sized rigid heddle loom, we’ll provide a detailed Ashford Loom guide to follow to adjust your warp. If you are brand new to rigid heddle weaving we recommend beginning with a 24″ loom.
Due to the oversize natured and weight of our premium workshop boxes, this is not eligible for any free shipping promotions. This box will ship ground by default.
Choose your silk noil and warp fiber colors below, then choose your preferred loom size:
You may also like…
The Crafter’s Box Pen Case & Tool Pouch
Shades of Grey Silk Noil & Linen$62.00
The Crafter’s Box Canvas Tool Roll
The Crafter’s Box Canvas & Leather Toolbox
A Handcrafted 12×12″ Mini Maple Loom$28.00
The Crafter’s Box Canvas & Leather Portfolio Bag
Italian Cotton Linen Warp Cone$14.00